We are part of the Barnsley Healthy Schools Scheme for which we follow strict criteria in four key themes: Personal, Social and Health Education, Healthy Eating, Physical Activity and Emotional Health and wellbeing.
We achieved our bronze and silver awards in January and July 2007, and having come this far we just had to go for gold! For the next two years, we continued to follow action plans and were scrutinised in further reviews and a final audit. We are proud to say we achieved our Gold award in June 2009 and even now, we are one of only four schools in Barnsley to achieve this.
Personal, Social and Health Education - we aim to provide a happy and secure environment for all those who work in, or visit it. We believe we should:
- Provide opportunities for lifelong learning.
- Be learners together, on behalf of one another and for one another.
- Be a fully inclusive learning centre where everyone’s learning styles and needs are catered for.
- Provide a ‘can do’ culture, where learners thrive on high self -esteem and confidence.
- Have high expectations of all learners.
- Facilitate learning, which strives for excellence in enjoyment, achievement and attainment.
- Provide an environment conducive to learning.
- Provide a stimulating, broad and balanced curriculum.
- Work in partnership with the community and integrated services.
- Ensure the development of the whole individual.
Personal, social and health education (PSHE) helps to give pupils the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to lead confident, healthy independent lives and to become informed, active, responsible citizens.
Healthy Eating - our Healthy Schools Tuck Shop and our School Dinners follow the healthy eating requirements and we encourage parents and carers to provide children with packed lunches that adhere to these standards. This is achieved by promoting healthy packed lunch options using the principles of the Balance of Good Health and some staff will be providing advice on making healthy lunchboxes using the Ready Steady Lunchbox training (scroll down for links to some useful websites and printable leaflets).
Physical Activity - our classes generally start with "Wake and Shake" and our lessons include regular Physical Education classes. In addition we offer various sport themed after school clubs and regular sporting events.
Emotional Health and Wellbeing - we aim to ensure every child is happy, safe and secure whilst at home and school. The wellbeing of all staff, parents and pupils is essential for promoting good attitudes to learning. All procedures are fully implemented and school takes the following cases very seriously:
- equal opportunities
If the school has any concerns about the well-being of children and families, they work very closely with all agencies to ensure children are safe.
See below for useful links to information and websites.